Hello,

I just spent the last couple of hours replacing the Explorers "Transmission Modulator" to fix a shifting issue that it's had for the past year or so as well as getting it running again (it's been sitting for a couple of months.) It was an absolute pain to get to, you have to rip up the carpet in order to get to the transmission's inspection plate and then remove the modulator by braille. But once the task was done and I put it in gear, it still had a delay in it's gear changing. It turns out that the ATF was really low too, not even registering on the dipstick. So 3 quarts later, and it's shifting every single time and shifting smoother than it ever has before.A little background: The Explorer was my dad's Daily Driver but was parked over the summer when he purchased a Ford Taurus. It had shifting issues prior to parking it. He used to have to back into are driveway when he came home from work because Reverse wouldn't always engage in the morning when he left for work. But even then, it took the transmission a good couple of seconds before it would "clunk" into drive and he could start driving. He said that the issue would later go away once the engine and transmission had warmed up. But now, it's smoking, not really thick, but still smoking. The smoke has a really unique smell to it but I can't determine if it's just the way the exhaust smells, or if the modulator is pushing the ATF into the engine. My question is, could it be? The new modulator is one from BWD and they're reputable from what I've read, but I fear that even though it works now, it may go back to how it was.It now has ATF in it and a new modulator, but this car hadn't always been well kept..As a matter of fact, last summer when I replaced the spark plugs, I found one that was original to the car. So, any transmission guru's that could help me out with this? I don't want to have to go through all of this again and with Winter on it's way, my dad wants to start driving it again because it was 4WD..

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archi … 552--.html
eLearning Platform Example

Thanks